Sunday, August 4, 2013

Masochist Training Week 3

Sunday to Sunday training has gone well.  Last Sunday I decided to run on the road.  I felt my training had been lacking in mileage due to the slower pace on the trails..& could also use the boost in pace one gets on the road.  The rest of the week was kind of a lazy running week where I didn't get the workouts or mileage in that I had intended.  However, I made up for it today running 50k on the trails and finishing in just under 7 hours.

Sunday, July 28th - Road Run, 20.0 miles, CO119 - I parked at the bank in the Walmart shopping center in Logan, WV - and ran towards Chapmanville, WV.  I picked this route because it started and finished with 6 miles of steep hills.  I ran out 10 miles with negative splits in mind.  I managed to keep them that way until I began my 2 mile hill climb just after mile 14 (10 out & 4 back) in which the hills only got steeper over the last six miles.




Tuesday, July 30th - Trail Run, 8.7 miles, Hatfield & McCoy Trail System, Logan, WV - this run actually opened up onto the Hatfield & McCoy trail system.  I imagine I will get more familiar with these trails as they go forever with endless options.  I just need to be careful to pay attention to the trail numbers and the sequence I enter/exit them!  I almost missed an appointment because I almost went the wrong way on my way back.  There were two trails that forked together - only I didn't notice on my way out...On my way back - I was doubtful on which way to go.  Thank goodness for Map My Run's viewable map of route this time.  I headed up the wrong way but looked at my map and turned around.





Wednesday, July 31st - Trail Run, 3 miles, Chief Logan Recreational Trail loop - this was a short run.  My training schedule called for a light 5 miles, but I didn't have time.  I am making Wednesday mornings a group run for beginning trail runners - one showed up last week, 2 the week before, and 2 the week before that.  I am hoping to have 3 or more this week!




Thursday, August 1st - Track night, LHS, Logan, WV - short track workout.  These past few weeks have been my first workouts on the track & I must say they are uncomfortable for me.  Plus, I have been working on getting the kinks worked out on my workouts programmed in my Garmin as well as learning exactly what I am capable of to get the most out of these nights.  I only ran one workout - but, I have created a new one starting with my slow run intervals at 10 seconds with 1:50 in recovery, and then 20 seconds slow run with 1:40 recovery.. and so on...  I input it into my Garmin now to have 3 repeats with 10 minutes recovery between each workout.  Hoping this will go better.  To run faster, you have to run faster - right?  ugh

(MY GARMIN BUGGED OUT ON ME AND CORRUPTED THIS FILE - realized that was the issue when my workouts wouldn't connect today, after reading a few blogs on the issue)  Sorry for no workout on this one.  I ran 3.57 miles in 34 minutes - that included a 1 mile warmup.

Saturday, August 3rd - planned on running the course for the August 24 race in Minden.  Also decided to make that a working play day to drop off information and fliers on the fundraiser 5K I am doing.  Well, I ran short on time and when I got to the place where the race is going to be, no one could help me match my course map with their actual trails :(   so no run Saturday

Sunday, August 4th - make up training day - 50k, Chief Logan State Park Trail system, Logan WV - my Garmin died just short of completing the 50k, but almost made it.  This is the longest trail run I have logged on my Garmin.  I ran Frozen Sasquatch 50K but we know what happened up there.  I was well pleased to complete this run and still have energy today!  I CAN RUN MASOCHIST and proved it to myself today!




All in all training is looking good.   I am happy with how I am doing.  I think maybe a goal finish time of 10:30:00 may be a little ambitious at this point, but we will see.  I will have my good friend, Alan, look over my training and tell me what he thinks I can do it in if I keep with it as planned.  He usually can guess my time pretty closely (although - I have shocked him by being faster on occasion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment