Thursday, January 31, 2013

Portland Jogging Art Tour

I recently made a trip up to Portland, OR to visit a school I am looking at making application to.  Being a poor college, I had $60 to cover everything for the entire 4 days I was there. Of course I wanted to see as much of the city I could while I was there.  So, I researched everything free to do in the city before I left for my trip.

I came across a brochure online showing a map with all of the pieces a public art in the city.  I came up with the idea of doing a sort of terrain association game where I would run around the city looking for all the spots on the map where piece of art could be located. This ended up being a terrific idea.  I took the map out and looked at it before I left my room, got a quick idea of the direction I was going to head in, and took off.  As you can tell from the map of my run, I got a little lost at first, ran around in circles for a bit, but in the end I realize there was so much art in the city that I the map was not needed.  All I needed to do was keep my head up and eyes open!

Here are some of the pictures that I took along the way. This ended up being the funnest part of my trip. I definitely foresee more of these runs in other cities I visit!

....and, I uploaded my pics in the order I snapped them but had to upload them from my Blogger mobile app and they didn't upload in order :/  Hopefully, I will find the time to reorder them... but, anyhoo.. enjoy!

FREE TOURS - didn't quite have time to make it back for one though.

Headed Out the Door!
Public  Fountains!  Constructed in memory of Philanthropist Simon Benson.
Portland!
Honest Abe...& me.
Yet another fountain (or, er, a picture of the fountain that was hidden behind the vegetable stand)
Just thought this was nice!
I was happy to see that at least one of the Farmer's Markets stays open for the winter.
Portland was one of the friendliest cities I have ever visited!!!
Even strangers spoke to each other on the bus.
A piece of a building that was left, I believe..
Jamison Square is where this red sculpture below was found.




Theodore Roosevelt, Rough Rider
Coming of the White Man, in Washington Park (ran here the day after art jogging tour)
Asked someone sitting close by - this is a fountain when it is not freezing out!
Rock located at the Chinese Gardens
Chinatown
The first piece I located after running around in a few circles.
 I actually uploaded a pic of this without me bombing it, but it did not upload :(
This was another favorite piece of mine - sorry you can not see it!
 You can see it HERE though
Street Entrance to Chinese Gardens
Chinatown
HUGE piece - but not quite sure of it's name.  : ?
Another favorite - and behind it, there is some construction going on that I believe will incorporate MORE ART! :)
Just some really pretty graffiti
Multinoma County Library - had an amazing collection of popup art books!
I took many pictures to show my students for the summer reading program I work at!
Very cool idea!  I loved this!  Wish I had my nephew with me to play.









I thought the city was full of culture!

This a fountain during warmer season!   Drained for winter :(







By the Water at the start of my run....hmmm..pics uploaded completed out of order!


These are located all over the city..  apparently food is good here.. I even saw a vegan truck... but I was limited to purchasing my own groceries and eating in!  Next time...

















Ok... I was particularly excited when I came across this one.
This was not an art piece listed on the brochure.
I lucked into finding this one - can any of my running buddies guess who this is???


























No comments:

Post a Comment