Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reflecting on 2012


Reflecting on my races over the last year I picked a half marathon as my first event ever, the Subaru Distance Classic Half Marathon in Jacksonville, FL on Thanksgiving Day 2011.  As far as training, I did not follow any.  I went out and ran whenever I could.  It was at the beginning of November before the race that I tagged along with friends to the 50+ miler in Virginia, Mount Masochist.  I was lucky to have the opportunity to run alongside one of the first ultra runners ever for the last half of the race.  I had never ran more than 10 miles but the excitement carried me through the entire distance...being the most grueling and intense feat I had ever completed and the most exciting.  

Running 26 miles that day was not the smartest thing to do per most trainers, but I would not take the experience back for anything.  I learned more about myself that day and experienced a feeling that only other distance runners can relate to.  I was hooked.

I hobbled along and did not do much running between November 5th (Mt. Masochist) and November 24th (Subaru Half Marathon.) It was a great flat course and it being my first race, I started too quickly but finished with the feeling that I had not really pushed myself to my limit.

My next few races were in December, January, & February, a 3 race series (5K, 8K, & 10K) we call the Winter Series here in West Virginia along with my very first trail run in January, 25K Frozen Sasquatch in Kanawha State Forest.  Here is a list of all my races with times and pics if available:

13.1     road run                                   11/24/2011                           1:57:11, 8:57 pace           

  5K     road run                                   12/04/2011                              25:41, 8:17 pace
  8K     road run                                   01/08/2012                              40:14, 8:05 pace
 10K    road run                                   02/05/2012                              49:03, 7:55 pace


25K     trail run                                     01/07/2012                           2:49:18.4, 10:56 pace

Me coming down the mountain to cross the finish line at Frozen Sasquatch..   Great run! 
I hope I feel this good on Saturday when I run the 50K (2 loops)




GRISTMILL GRINDER - run in one of the most beautiful state parks in WV, ending with a killer climb
13.1     trail run                                    04/14/2012                           2:07:12, 9:43 pace

 UC HALF MARATHON -  inaugural race, I hope I get to run it again this year 
13.1     road run                                   04/29/2012                           1:45:59, 8:06 pace

At the start - I had my dad with me this race!  Family always makes every race better!

Great course - had a blast!

Quite pleased with myself!  :P


15K     road run                         05/12/2012                           1:16:33, 8:13 pace

15K     trail run                         05/19/2012                           1:41:21, 10:53 pace     

He ran off and left me and beat me by 20 minutes while I went backwards looking for him...lol  


6.55     road run                                   08/11/2012                              50:39, 7:44 pace

I won my first trophy!!! (beet root juice helped with a zoot)


15 mi    road run                                   09/01/2012                           2:07:56, 8:32 pace


MARSHALL UNIVERSITY - was in for NYC & got reduced registration after it was cancelled
26.2     road run                                   04/29/2012                           3:48:12, 8:43 pace

OFFICIALLY, A MARATHONER!  Feelin' good, especially having thought my training had gone to waste when NYC was cancelled (G-d bless NY)


 WINTER SERIES RACE 1 OF 3 - ran 49s faster than last year
5K       road run                                   12/09/2012                              23:09, 7:28 pace

That's my past year's races and times.  It has been a year of running whenever I can and scheduling every event I can get to.  My next two races are scheduled for this weekend.  I run my very first ultra run, 50K, at Frozen Sasquatch in Kanawha State Forest this Saturday and Winter Series race #2, 8K on Sunday.  To be quite honest, I am uncertain of how I'll do in both.  I haven't really trained for the 50K due to recovery time from running my first marathon.  After suffering severe knee pain from ITBFS, I have been restricting myself to hiking, stretching, yoga, and foam rolling.  But, hey... this is why I want to be more structured this year in my training.  I can't wait to have updates.  

My race list is minimal this year with a few key endurance events.  My goal is to run my first 50 mile ultra.

2013 REGISTERED RACES - All Must Do's:
Frozen Sasquatch 50K                                                                               01/05/13
Winter Series 8K (race day registration offered)                                    01/06/13
Winter Series 10K                                                                                     02/03/13
Babcock Gristmill Grinder 2013   half marathon                                     04/13/13
Dirty Dog 15K                                                                                           05/18/13

HIT LIST:
UC Half Marathon                                                        April 28 (Early bird price until March 3)
Highlands In the Sky                            40 mile trail run June 15 (registration goes up May 24)
Mount Masochist                           50 mile trail run (1st Sat in Nov - registration not yet open)
Instead of Mt Masochist, a friend suggested I run this event - which I admit, I am skeered of:
WV Triology                                                                            50K, 50mile, 13.1 (October 11-13)  

So...Happy New Year everybody!  So, what are you running this year?  What are your goals?  Have ya taken time to go through your last year training log or race times?  I would love to hear more.  And, please - tips, on how to keep a good running journal.  What does everyone else keep track of through their year?  

Happy Trails in a happy New Year!  G-d bless!







No comments:

Post a Comment